Papa’s Pilar is a premium rum brand based out of Key West that is inspired by Ernest Hemingway’s legacy and adventures between Florida and Cuba on his boat, the Pilar. The brand was actually created in collaboration with Papa Hemingway’s estate (the family remains involved and donates a majority of their proceeds to charities that embody Hemingway’s legacy each year). Papa’s Pilar would probably make the perfect gift for a dad who loves literature and Hemingway, and who lives an active and adventurous lifestyle much like Papa himself, or is simply looking for a premium, complex spirit to sip neat or mix into cocktails.
Papa’s Pilar’s two core expressions – Blonde and Dark – are blended by Master Blender Ron Call (formerly of Cruzan and Jim Beam) using rums sourced from countries throughout the Caribbean for their age and distinct character. More in-depth product info below.
Papa’s Pilar Rum can be purchased online here.
Papa’s Pilar Blonde
Solera-style blended in Bourbon barrels and Spanish Sherry casks
- Nose: Rounded nose with citrus notes of grapefruit, mandarin and key lime mixed with vanilla, oak and a touch of crisp almond
- Taste: Creamy, buttery, vanilla taste layered with soft mango, orange peel and pineapple hints
- Finish: Smooth, nutty and clean
Papa’s Pilar Dark
Solera-style blended in Bourbon barrels, Port Wine casks and Spanish Sherry Casks
- Nose: Complex notes of vanilla, cinnamon, coffee beans and honey with hints of sherry and port
- Taste: Intricately flavored: sweet, mixed with earthy, vegetal tones. Mouth-coating with a touch of spice, bourbon, almond and apricot
- Finish: Robust with a long finish